Tuesday 20 March 2007

A Mommy's Miss


A lot of things are taken for granted in life. The Hokkiens have a saying: Oo toh law, boh toh caw. That when translated means: When you have it, it is a burden; when you don't have it, it is a loss/grief. So when you become a parent, there is great joy and a lot of fun, but there is definitely a drastic change to your every day lifestyle.


Since I had kids I hardly ever:

... walk up or down the stairs empty handed.

... sleep through the night.

... have a relaxing bath/shower that's more than 5 minutes.

... have a nice long chat on the phone before 11pm.

... watched a movie in the cinema.

... window shop.

... have uninterrupted meals.

... have uninterrupted conversations with anyone for more than 2 minutes.

... talk to another person without my eyes following one of the boys.

... not baby talk for a day.

... finish reading a book in 2 days.

... wear jeweleries.

... wear make-up.

... wear a long dress (still a nursing mom).

... have a good long swim in the pool.

... sit in silence to meditate...unless both boys are asleep.


But I must say, to make up for these loss is the fact that now I almost always :

... go through a day with lots of hugs and sloppy kisses.

... laugh with delight and surprise by what the boys can do or say.

... am surrounded by giggles and laughter.

... sing.

... play.

... watch cartoons.

... make funny faces without being rude.

... read with and to someone who is totally enthusiastic about a book.

... not sleep alone.

... stretch my arms to hug or carry two boys.

... stretch my brains to be more creative.

... stretch my nerves to be more patient.

... stretch my soul to be more gracious.

... celebrating a new achievement everyday.

Quite a great trade off, I would say. Parenthood is great.
God is great.