Monday 23 April 2007

Meet Mrs. Mouse


When I was very young, maybe about three, my father showed us his interest in art. He could draw really well, and I remember a piece he was working on: It was a jungle scene with some ladybirds on the leaves on the foreground. That is the most vivid in my memory. My fathr's interest in drawing sparked off something in my older sister and I. We loved drawing, especially human figures - petty girlie ones. We would draw on all the walls of the rented flat we stayed in down town. We really drove our parents up the wall. By the time I was five, I was most famous in my kindy class as the best artist. All my friends came to ask me to draw a picture for them. My first day of school in primary one won me immediate friends because I was drawing to kill time and my classmatess, total strangers, just started talking to me and asking me to draw for them.

Now, looking at my boys: Micah is not much into drawing. Maybe because we did not give him the room to cultivate the interest when there could have been the "season" when he was younger. I tried giving him some crayons at one time but I caught him chewing them more than once and after that I just kept all writing equipments from him. It was only until recently that he stopped putting almost everything into his mouth.

Max is more privileged. I suddenly "discovered" the magnetic doodle pad. I would have given this to Micah, but at that time I forgot its existence. So this is the first time I managed to capture Max's drawing. He actually did a couple of really nice once before, but I was not quick enough to get a shot before they were erased. So here is his first drawing on display. He can't speak yet (being just 16 months), so mommy's calling it "Mrs. Mouse".


No comments: