Friday 8 June 2007

A Toe in Homeschooling

Micah wants to be home-schooled.
Not that he knows this word, but he pretty much said it when he said, " I don't want to go to school, Mummy. I just want to learn at home. You be my teacher, ok?"

Yesterday we tried drawing some lines to match pictures on a work book. I also tried to get him to read 3 words phonetically. It was work demanding sweat and blood for both of us.

Today we were both much more successful. It took a lot of coaxing and some threatening (I think you don't want to learn from mommy. You go to school, ok?), but we sat through about an hour of hard work, with some whining in between... So all in all we did some more of drawing lines to match pictures, looked at sequencing some pictures of a simple story and got him to read 5 words, rewarded by mommy's drawing.

Then he played a little bit on the computer and watched a cartoon video on animal migration.

Sigh... maybe I can pull this off... at least for a while more.

2 comments:

Ann said...

You certainly have alot of patience! I applaud you and will also try to do the same for my kid when the time comes! Keep up the good work.

Moomykin said...

I have never planned to home school. In fact I alway feel it's overwhelming. Still playing by ear for now.