Monday 8 October 2007

False Alarm

Friday evening, 7.30pm.
As I ate dinner alone, I felt a pain at my abdomen area and also on my back. I did not think much of it except that maybe I had over strained myself... and hope that I was not catching another bug. After that I told my mum-in-law I was going to slip out to get some snacks for the excursion tomorrow. The playgroup had organised a trip to the Elephant Sanctuary and we were going to go. In fact, my sis and her friend were going to come up to our place about 8am and hitch a ride with us.

8.30 pm. As I walked through the mall from one end to the other, the pain increased to the point I felt like I needed to squat down on the escalator. I went to the bathroom. Nothing. As I washed I hands I thought, "This is like contractions. Crazy." Ran my errand with great discomfort.

10pm. Mike got back from work and played with the boys while I had a toe in and out of dreamland. I had told him of the pain earlier. "I think it's appendicitis," I said nervously. I can't bear the thought of having to go for surgery.
I remembered when Micah was already a week over due and the doctor said we should seriously consider surgery. Inducing the baby was probably just 20% chance of success. I freaked out once were out of his office. Surgery?! All the time I was psyching myself for contractions and hours and hours of labor pain, etc, and now I have to go for surgery?! I called my mom, my sister in Singapore and some friends to wail and to ask for prayers. ... Anyway, Max was of natural birth and that's how I know of contractions and labor pains.

11pm. Got the boys into bed and took about a whole hour to get them to sleep.

12am. Talked some more to Mike about the pain and then decided to call a doc friend to ask her opinion. She was away in Singapore for a friend's wedding and the line was bad. SMS my sis and she called back: Go to the hospital please. Don't even bother going to a 24hour clinic. SMS the playgroup coordinator to tell my situation and that we would not be going for the trip.

12.30am. Got a bag packed for the hospital. Think I should go in. We brought the boys down to be nearer to their grandparents whose room are downstairs. The hospital is about 15 minutes away. On the way I called my doctor friend again and this time I got a clear line. She asked me for symptoms: fever? No. Sharp pain? No, dull pain but throbbing. Pain seems to reduce when I lie down but increases quickly when I move around. She advised to go in and told me what the procedure would probably be like: They would maybe keep me for 24 hours for observation before doing anything and to see if the pain becomes worse.

Mommy brain@ work: What? I might as well wait at home to see if the pain gets worse. What if Max cries and needs to suckle? What if Micah wakes up looking for Mommy or if he cries in his sleep and wants only Mommy? Poor grandma and grandpa will have a weary night.

At the round-about, just 2 turns from the hospital I told Mike, "Lets go home. I think I'll wait till the pain gets worse. If they want to just observe me and make me wait, I might as well wait at home."

1am. Mike brought the boys back to bed in our room. We all slept soundly.

Micah woke up early, about 7am and Daddy entertained him. Max got up about 8.30am and they all went down for breakfast. I woke up 9am and felt as good as ever.

48 hours later: No pain what so-ever. Don't know what was that all about but it just made us miss a trip I was all ready to post on my blog.

Too bad its not an "exciting" weekend to report after all.

5 comments:

Mommy-yeoh said...

I had it remove when I was in Form 5. I had pain for few days, went to a doctor and he merely prescribed me some medication. But few days later I went for a second opinion and I was admitted immediately and had it remove. I was not prepared for it at all.

Anyway do not worry if the pain goes away.

I noticed that you take your boys to a playgroup. Where is it? Do they have one for Sara's age and on weekends?

Ann said...

Heh...managed to catch up with your blog at last !!! And OH what a SCARE !!!

If you were pregnant, it would have been a greater scare yeah !

Thank God you are OK now.
Cheers.

Moomykin said...

mummy-yeoh: Only my youngest sibling had his removed when he was about 12yrs old and my mum a month after my bro. Strange coincidence, huh?

Playgroup is in Bangsar Baru. 0-2 years is on Wed 9.30-11.30am, and 2-4 is Mon and Fri 9.30am-12pm. Can get the contact number from me.

ann: Yeah, it was quite a scare. Yes, am thankful all is well.

Therealpepperboy said...

! I hope you're still feeling good and no more pain. Surgery is scary. I wish I was already in medical school so that I can diagnose something. :(
Btw: my microbiology prof told us that they are beginning to understand the function of the appendix- it's like a reservoir for the good bacteria in your body. :)
Anyhow, I'll pray for you too. How're the boys? :)

Moomykin said...

Hey, pepperboy. Thanks for the info on the appendix.

Turned out I'm all fine and dandy, so we missed the trip over a false alarm. Yes, surgery is so so scary. Always makes me sit on the edge of my nerves. Anyway, good to hear from you.