Monday 23 July 2007

Experiments @ Home


I have come to realise Micah's learning style. He is very fast at picking up things, especially information and new words, and he has a really good memory. He loves hands on, and sometimes I think the dirtier the better... much to all the grandparents' dismay, because they have low tolerance for mess.

Still these were what we did for our "science projects" this week:

Ladybugs Metamorphosis

This was accidentally introduced by grandma. A few days back I caught a ladybug and we kept it in a jar with a pin-pricked paper and rubber-band for a cover. By evening I told Micah he has to let it go so that it would not starve to death. Of course he was excited and opened the jar's lid. He blew into the jar and the ladybug disappeared. Then he cried wanting the ladybug to come back. So the ever-resourceful grandma came to the rescue. She brought 2 bright yellow ladybug grubs from a bittergourd creeper and we kept them in a bigger jar. After two days they began to form into chrysalises. That's the whitish bit. Now we are just waiting to see ladybugs burst out of them. Everyday mommy is the one to check on any changes (in preparation for "class") before bringing Micah to have a look at them. We are still waiting.

Bean Sprouts.

We actually did one round about 2 weeks back and we had a really successful growth of 10 sprouts (This was actually inspired by a kid's programme "Out of the Box" on TV). Then we went to Kuantan for our friend's wedding. However when we went off to the beach, I did not ask the grandma to water the plant. Actually I thought we could just "forget it". But Micah got really upset when he remembered 2 days after we got back and discovered that the plants were gone. They had dried up and grandma had thrown them out. So we started another round this week. Now there are 3 sprouts sitting on on our kitchen counter. Micah proudly brings them round to any visitors to the house and tells them, "Look! My plants have grown." We will wait for a few more days before we transfer them into a pot with soil.

For now I can't think of anything else that is simple enough for us to do at home. But it's been fun so far.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Remember doing all these when I was a kid as well ! I loved my home science experiments.
Grew bitter gourd in the garden and even harvested a few rounds for dinner. But then I discovered I didn't like bitter gourd and stopped taking care of the plant! :)
Also did the caterpillar experiment.

Good that Micah sees wonder in science! Difficult though as a mum to think of ways to further cultivate it!

Maybe create a sun dial in the yard? Or a bird feeder/bath? Or where sweet,salty etc. spots are on the tongue! :)

Moomykin said...

Thanks for the ideas, Ann. :)

Bethany said...

Since we haven't seen you for a couple of weeks, thought I'd catch up on what you're up to :) Good to see Micah loving science. There are a few really neat books on home experiments that are really fun as well as a great learning experience at the PSN library. I borrowed one, but never got around to trying any... I think you're motivating me to try ;)

Moomykin said...

Thanks, Minni and Beth.
We look forward to seeing you at PSN tomorrow.

Another friend just became a full time mom, expecting her 3rd baby. Will have more friends at PSN I think. :)