Sunday 19 August 2007

Books A Bundle!





95% of the books I buy these days are for the boys!

I really love books but personally I am a slow reader. I love words, so I devour every one of them. My older sis could read like 6 Famous Five books when we were in our late teens, just for fun, but the best I could do was one a day. Even the last book I read cover to cover, Taming the Tiger by Tony Anthony, took me the whole night. It was a book I could not put down and so I read some in the afternoon when the boys were napping and finished the rest through the night. I think I slept at 6am that day.

This was my advantage but also my set back when I did my MA in English Literature. I did not miss a thing, but it sure took me ages to finish my reading. It was most torturous during coursework terms coz we had to do 2 novels a week! I sure almost died, but enjoyed the group discussions 110%.



Last Friday at playgroup we got our stash from Scholastic: 16 books and all for a mere RM140. That's less than RM10 a book. And it so happened this time round there were just the very timely titles for my boys. So what's a stay home mum to do? Make the daddy sign a cheque for them. :)

Then on Saturday, while the boys napped, Mike and I successfully went to the movies: Rush Hour 3! Yippy! I saw my first movie in the cinema after 2+ years!! And I am glad we saw RH3 cos it was just plain adrenalin rushing and it's really not a title I would want Mike to buy a DVD. Anyway, apart from the exciting action and comedy, I spotted the bad guy right from the start.Hmmm... I think I didn't see RH 2. No recollection of it at all.

Anyway, after the show Mike walked into a computer games shop to get a new Wii game for Micah. I told him to meet me in Popular book shop when he is done. I really did not plan to buy anything but just love to be around books, rather than to loiter in a c-games shop. Well, to cut the story short, we ended up buying 5 books for the boys.

Honestly, right now I am in such a quandary: Which book shall I start looking at with the boys? All are just as interesting... but the boys had a go at the books we bought from Pop-bs first. Tha's only because just as we drove into the driveway, they woke up and greeted us at the door. Micah's first greetings, rather, interrogations, were: Where did you go? Do you have a surprise for me?
Then only his confession to mommy: I cried for you. I wanted you. I miss you.

What a tugger of the heartstrings.

When we got indoors Daddy showed them the new game - Cars!! - and only later in the evening did we look at the books. By the time they boys hit the hay it was almost 12am.

For now, I am still reading through the bundle of books from Scholastics first. Apart from Eric Carl's (He is my favourite children's0 author at the moment) House for the Hermit Crab, I have yet to introduce them to the boys.

Oh, yeah...There's also the books we just got from the National Science Center's Library last Wednesday...

And my younger sis called earlier today to say, in great excitement, that she has got a book for the boys!



6 comments:

Mommy-yeoh said...

I started a collection of books for Sara too, although Woon Foong and I are the ones reading to her. Infact I was so fascinated with the stories, the pop ups, the peekaboo flap and the pictures. I have finish reading the books on my own.He he he. Of course all children books these days come with a nice price-tag too. Sigh!

Ann said...

oh no...i see where i am going in this....sooner or later i will be resorting to kids books too and not my usual grown-up controversial or mushy or weepy or dramatic stuff!

Moomykin said...

mummy-yeoh: yeah. I started collecting story books for 6&7 year old even before I conceive Micah cos it was a clearance sale at this shop in Melacca! My sis was grabbing the books for the school library she worked for at that time, me just crazy and read most of them already. hahaha...

Moomykin said...

ann: reading is a real luxury for me these days. But reading with and for the kids are also very enjoyable. A different kind of luxury, coz when they can do it on their own, they will no longer want to sit on your lap with a book. They grow up so fast.

Deborah said...

Hi Phek Kin, what a pleasant surprise! Thanks for visiting my blog and making yourself known! Wow, you & Mike have 3 kids now-- how wonderful! Must come and see you when I come back ... very likely this Christmas!

Moomykin said...

Hi, Deb, we actually have only 2 boys. We are only planning for the third after Christmas this year. We do hope you'll be back for Christmas. Looking forward to see you again after so long!