Friday 31 August 2007

On: LAD (Language Aquisition Device)



Max is now 20 months old. These are the words he says every day:

Top 5:
car
There!
no more
ball
book

Others:
blue
cup
boat
bum-bum
dig
dog
duck
(f)ish
go
got
gone
Koh-koh
Kung-kung
Mah-mah
more
pour
up

Expressions:
tata
uh-oh
pop
ouch

Character names:
Bob (the builder)
Ramone
Flo
Doc
Gordon (not so distinctly)
James (not so distinctly)


Animal sounds:
wuff-wuff
meow
ark-ark (duck/bird)
ssshh (snake)
aarrr (roar)
ooh-ooh (monkey)
park-park (chicken)
mmmm (cow)

I am sure there are a few more, but I just can't remember right now. By that you can guess that he is a boy whose actions, and cryings, speak louder than words.


THEN, yesterday, he started this: As if he suddenly switched on his LAD and started trying to repeat what the rest were saying. He said "cocoon", while I was talking to my sis-in-law about another science experiment we were doing in a jar. He also picked up one of his cars, Ramone (there are 3 different colored ones), and said "puh-pur" (purple). Mommy, not paying full attention at first said, "yeah, it's Ramone."
"Puh-pur. Puh-pur."
"Oh, yeah! Purple! Well done, baby!" Mommy amazed.

This morning, when my mum-in-law's goddaughter called, he picked up the phone in our room and started going, "Ello. Ello. Ello...", but just the next moment when my sis called from Singapore, he refused to say anything but held the phone to his ear and nodded his head every now and then. When I mentioned to my sis what's happening, she laughed and said, "So he has finally decided to talk, eh?" Yeah, sure seems like it.

I think for the days ahead we are going to have many thrilling moments of Max actually saying words and not just blabbers. Yeah, and this is the time Mommy will start getting excited and try to make him do demonstrations for others. Hehehe...

4 comments:

Ann said...

Hahaha.....that is great. Small developments are great in a mummy's eyes !

Moomykin said...

He is delighting us every day with new words and sounds!

Today he seemed to be holding a conversations with us and himself, a lot of blabber and nodding of his head. So funny!

Ann said...

Ooohh....you know I do that with my lil one...hold conversations with him and myself...and I actually think i can feel what he is feeling....it's quite nice but maybe a bit abnormal !

Moomykin said...

No one can explain the mystery bond of the mother and her baby. It has all to do with being in the same body for 40 weeks! :)