Wednesday 18 June 2008

I Love School, Mom




Micah and I just had a chat about what he did in school today.

"I love school, mom."

"I love your school too. May I come with you tomorrow?"

"Mmm... Actually, no."

"But I like you school, and I like your teacher. It's so much fun."

"But you can't. It's only for big children. But you can go to the school for big people."


****


The day did not start like this. In fact, the last few (four to be exact) mornings began with a boy crying from the moment he woke up:



"Is it school today? But I don't want to go to school. I'm scared. I'll miss you.
I promise to do my homework, ok?"

He sounds like a broken record the whole morning, not wanting to go. Grandma and I will be persuading and trying all manners to calm him down.

The first few days actually was quite bad. He'd cling to me and cry hysterically and his teacher would have to peel his hands off me and then peel them off the doorway.

Needless to say I felt quite bad, like I was abandoning him.
But every time I come pick him up he's very happy, said he had a good time.
So I knew he's actually doing quite alright. Just the separation anxiety that needed to be resolved still.

This morning was like the end of the roller-coaster ride. He cried from the time he woke up, but half way in the journey we talked about how his crying also made his favourite pal cried. So he stopped. He decided he would not cry anymore (about school, that is).

By the the time we got to the school, he was ready to be there. He hugged his backpack and said, "I can do it by myself."

Still, I helped him put it on properly and held the school door open for him. At the steps he waved and said, "Bye, mom, see you later."

I was overjoyed. Did a 'hip-hip-hooray' with another mom who then drove up and we both shared my moment of joy and triumph!

Looks like we have come to the end of the tunnel.

Happy is this Mommy.

1 comment:

Ann said...

oh...that is so great! Maybe when he is used to school, you can move him to one nearer!

Or...your move may come soon ya!